Setting up pickup on your Shopify store can help your brick-and-mortar retail store increase online sales and reduce shipping costs.
The COVID-19 pandemic forced many traditionally in-person retail stores to embrace ecommerce, and many businesses turned to Shopify. Shopify is a robust ecommerce platform offering many critical solutions like inventory management, POS systems, and a modern online shopping experience. In addition, their easy-to-use dashboards provide business owners with valuable data on ecommerce performance, sales, and profitability.
In this tutorial, I will teach you how to set up pickup on Shopify so your customers can purchase products online and pick them up at your brick-and-mortar locations.
If you have any questions or need help setting up pickup on your Shopify store, feel free to reach out to us!
Table of Contents
- Create a Shopify Pickup Location
- Configure Your Location for Pickup
- Setting up Pickup on Shopify is Easy!
Create a Shopify Pickup Location
Shopify automatically creates one location when you set up your store. This location is usually the billing address you entered when creating your Shopify store, which may be different from your pickup location. Let’s walk through the steps of creating a new pickup location in Shopify.
Step 1 – Shopify Location Settings
First, let’s head over to the Locations page in Shopify. This page lists all the locations associated with your Shopify store. It is also where you can add, update, or remove locations.
- From your primary Shopify dashboard, click Settings in the bottom left corner.
- Once inside the Settings menu, click on Locations.
Step 2 – Create Your Pickup Location(s)
On this page, you will see a list of the existing locations set up in your Shopify store. To edit an existing location, click on the location to access the location settings. In this section, we’ll walk through how to create a new location:
- Click the green Add location button at the top right corner of the page.
- Enter your Shopify pickup location’s name, address, and phone number. Including the phone number here allows customers to call with any questions or concerns during the pickup process.
- NOTE: Check the box next to Fulfill online orders from this location. Otherwise, this location won’t show up in the following steps.
Repeat the steps above if you want to create multiple locations. The number of locations you can have depends on your Shopify plan. Any locations that you deactivate don’t count towards this limit. If you have a third-party app that stocks inventory or fulfills orders, any locations it creates also don’t count towards this limit.
Configure Your Location for Pickup
Now that we created the locations in our Shopify store, we can configure the pickup options for each location. Shopify allows you to create different pickup settings for each location. For example, you can provide different pickup instructions to customers depending on the location they select to pickup their order. In this section, we’ll walk through how to configure the pickup settings for your pickup locations.
Step 1 – Open the Shipping and Delivery Settings
Let’s head over to the shipping and delivery page in Shopify. This is where you can change the pickup settings for your locations.
- Click on Shipping and delivery inside the Settings menu.
Step 2 – Find the Local Pickup Section
On this page, you’ll see all of your store’s shipping and delivery settings. To finish setting up our pickup locations, we’ll want to focus on the Local pickup section.
- Scroll about halfway down the page and find the Local pickup section.
- Here, you should see a list of locations available for pickup.
- The gray Doesn’t offer pickup box simply means the location hasn’t been activated for pickup yet. We’ll take care of that right now.
NOTE: If you don’t see a location, head back to the Locations page and make sure the box next to Fulfill online orders from this location is checked.
Step 3 – Select the Location Where You Offer Pickup Service
- Click on a location where you will allow customers to pick up online orders.
- On the next screen, check the box next to This location offers local pickup.
Step 4 – Configure Pickup Options
A few new sections will appear after your check the box for offering local pickup. On this page, we can set how long it typically takes for an online order to be ready for pickup at each location. Customers will see this information during the checkout process so it’s important to be honest. You’re setting customers’ expectations here, so be sure to set an expectation you can live up to.
In the Order ready for pickup notification section, clearly outline any instructions or requirements customers may need to be aware of when picking up their order. Once again, this text will be included in the email or SMS notification sent to the customer when their order is ready to be picked up.
- Set the amount of time you need to prepare an order for your customer.
- Include any instructions or information the customer needs to know when picking up their order.
Once you are done, click the green Save button to save your changes.
Setting up Pickup on Shopify is Easy!
After following this step-by-step guide, you know exactly how to set up locations on Shopify and offer in-store pickup to your customers. Allowing customers a convenient way to pick up their online orders at a physical location helps reduce your shipping costs and can also improve your store’s conversion rates.
Mo Sheikh is an entrepreneur, developer, and marketer. As the Founder of Adaptyve Digital, he helps teach ecommerce business owners ways to manage, grow, and scale their business.